|Number of anaesthesia cases per year:
|Number of Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA):
|Number of Anesthesiologists:
|Number of habitants
|5 932 654
- Nurse anaesthesia regulation: The National Board of Health. Website: www.sst.dk
The Danish Nurse Organization. Website: www.dsr.dk
Regional Educational Board.
• Nurse Anaesthesia education:
Entry requirements: Danish authorization as a nurse.
Minimum 2 years of clinical hospital experience preferably in emergency somatic care and involving complex patient care.
The clinical and theoretical education is within a 24-month period of full-time employment. The clinical education takes place at anesthesiology departments. The nurse may be employed centrally, via region, or by an individual hospital. The education program is equivalent to 90 ECTS credits.
Certification: The Danish nurse anaesthetist is called a Special Trained Nurse in Anaesthesia Care, meaning Certified Nurse Anaesthetist (National Diploma).
The theoretical education consists of:
1) Two theory lessons in clinical practice per week.
2) A theory program of approx. 200 lessons, which concludes with an individual written theory examination in the natural science subjects.
The clinical education is organized as four six-month periods involving increasingly complex clinical tasks. The education must include a six-week placement in a post-operative care unit and at least six weeks in another anesthesiology department. Upon completion of the program, nurses must be able to participate in the development of treatment and care procedures and to assess and contribute to existing knowledge in the field. Nurses must be able to communicate with and convey their knowledge to patients and their relatives and to internal and external cooperation partners.
Certification: The student has to pass a national examination (multiple choice) and a written assignment, as well as successfully achieved evaluations from each practice period.
Nurse anesthesia practice involve administering care to patients before, during and after anesthesia, more specifically:
1) Administering anesthetics as prescribed by the anesthesiologist and/or according to guidelines of the anesthesia department.
2) Observing, analyzing and acting in a relevant manner in the case of any change in a patient’s condition and implementing treatment in coordination with the doctor.
3) Being able to use relevant equipment in accordance with applicable guidelines.
4) Caring for the patient and family relatives and adjusting communication to the specific situation.
5) Ensuring sufficient documentation and evaluation of nurse anesthesia activities performed.
6) Monitoring, observing, treating and caring for patients in the post-operative phase.
7) Administering sufficient post-operative pain and nausea treatment.
8) Helping to ensure coherent patient procedures, quality and patient safety across wards and sectors.
9) Being able to use knowledge, skills and competencies acquired within anesthesiology in connection with assistance and preparedness outside the surgery and anesthesia departments.
Recertification is not mandatory, but courses with continuing education and supplementary training is offered after 5-7 years’ work as a nurse anesthetist
- Activities of the national Association, FSAIO:
– Contribute to improve of health standard in the population and develop nursing care.
– Improve collaboration between members of the association.
– Support educational and working tasks.
– Arrange conferences and meetings in order to qualify members
– Encourage to and assist at inquiries into the working fields of Nurse Anaesthetist, Critical Care Nurses and Recovery nurses.
– Promote transverse collaboration between different nursing societies and the anaesthesiologist society in Denmark.
– Represent Danish nurse anaesthetists and critical care and recovery nurses national and international collaborations.
– Improve the anaesthesia and the critical care nursing in Denmark.
FSAIO is increasingly invited to participate in different national boards for health and education
Main tasks of the board:
One of the main tasks is to arrange 1-2 national days of congresses per year. The content of the congresses varies lot and reflect the wishes of our members. The society has a close collaboration with the medical industry.
The board acts as advisory body concerning element of interest of the specialities e.g. educational matters, expert statement and opinions.
- Continuing education opportunities:
– supplementary training (regional difference)
– FSAIO congresses
– Education offers made in collaboration between FSAIO and the medical industry.
- Website: www.dsr.dk/fsaio
- Contact person for country information:
Name: Jytte Pedersen