Founded in 1989, by 11 countries with a specific nurse anesthesia education, the IFNA has 44 country members.
The International Federation of Nurse Anesthetists (IFNA) is an international organisation representing nurse anesthetists serving the public and its members.The mission of the federation is dedicated to the precept that its members are committed to the advancement of educational standards and practices which will advance the art and science of anesthesiology and thereby support and enhance quality anesthesia care worldwide. The IFNA establishes and maintains effective cooperation with institutions that have a professional interest in nurse anesthesia.
The International Federation of Nurse Anesthetists (IFNA) is the authoritative voice for nurse anesthetists and nurse anesthesia, supporting and enhancing quality anesthesia care worldwide. As professionals, nurse anesthetists are recognised for their significant contribution to global healthcare as nurses, practitioners, teachers, administrators, researchers and consultants. The IFNA participates in the formulation and implementation of healthcare policy and the recognition of nurse anesthetists as essential and cost-effective health care providers.
- To promote cooperation between nurse anesthetists internationally.
- To develop and promote educational standards in the field of nurse anesthesia.
- To develop and promote standards of practice in the field of nurse anesthesia.
- To provide opportunities for continuing education in anesthesia.
- To assist nurse anesthetists’s associations to improve the standards of nurse anesthesia and the competence of nurse anesthetists.
- To promote the recognition of nurse anesthesia.
- To establish and maintain effective cooperation between nurse anesthetists, anesthesiologists and other members of the medical profession, the nursing profession, hospitals and agencies representing a community of interest in nurse anesthesia.
- Bylaws and Objectives.
- To promote continual high quality of patient care
- To serve as the authoritative voice for nurse anesthetists and nurse anesthesia internationally
- To provide means of communication among nurse anesthetists throughout the world
- To promote the independence of the nurse anesthetist as a professional specialist in nursing
- To advance the art and science of anesthesiology.
The IFNA has developed Standards of Education, Standards of Practice and a Code of Ethics for Nurse Anesthetists. Models of Nurse anesthesia program curriculum have been prepared by the Education Committee. The IFNA previously recognized as Professional Ressource Group, is now Affiliate member to ICN (International Council of Nurse) to be the voice for nurse anesthesia internationally. An international study done by Dr. Maura McAuliffe, American CRNA, for the IFNA has demonstrated on its first phase that nurse anesthetists are participating in more than 80% of all anesthesia in the world. They are the sole providers in 60% of the cases.